The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Red cheeks?

Whats going on with my LO? No fever! Just a runny nose & occasional coughing. I started her on 2oz of whole milk yesterday and gave her 2oz today twice. Her cheeks got bright red about 3 hours ago and wont go away.. I gave her some motrin just to be safe.. What could be wrong?

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
16 Comments
Oldest First
N
NoahsMummy2015

My son always looks like that when he is teething. :-) which is always! Haha

A
Adelina15
@NoahsMummy2015,

Lol thank you for reassuring me! :)

C
Chicrib55

Not to scare u but my DD is currently getting over rsv. Started with a runny nose and cough then the fever hit. Her cheeks were rosy like that then turned bright red. It can get bad quickly. Just wanted to share.

A
Adelina15
@Chicrib55,

Thank you! Im gonna bring her in the morning to her dr just to make sure :)

C
Chicrib55
@Adelina15,

Ok hope it goes well. Keep us updated! She's precious by the way :)

A
Adelina15
@Chicrib55,

Thank you so much! will do! :)

m
moBabyGenius

My dd got this way when she was teething supposedly from what my mom and sister told me its an inside fever , good thing you gave her motrin good luck! :) 

P
Porkbelly1

What a pretty girl! Not sure if it's cold where you live but in winter here my little guy got rosy cheeks which after a while got slightly rough, wind can cause it too, especially cold wind. Let us know how you get on xx

l
laurabm87

She could have something called Fifth Disease. This is considered to be a mild illness. Typically the child may have a fever or a runny nose prior to getting red cheeks or a "slapped cheek" appearance. After the rash is seen on the face the child is no longer contagious. Also there may be a second rash that comes that looks like a lacy rash on the body (this may or may not happen). This illness will go away on its own. Biggest worry is exposure to pregnant women. I'm not saying this is definitely what your child has but it is a possibility.

J
JessicaRevell

I agree with this poster above. If she's not teething this coups definitely be Fifths Disease (also know as "slap cheek"). Typically a mild condition though.

S
SoniaCN

My daughter gets the same thing!  I think it's related to the cold weather and heat in our home though.  The air gets really dry and it seems to bring out the redness.  Could it be that?

C
Chicrib55

Update?

AnniesMama1224

Not to add to the confusion, but my daughter was sent home from daycare today because she had red cheeks like that and a low grade fever (99F). Daycare told us that they thought it was Hand Foot and Mouth and that they had a confirmed case in her room earlier this week. No signs of blisters anywhere on here body so I'm a little confused? Anyway, going to the Dr tomorrow to get it checked out though. She's been teething like crazy and the weather has been cold and dry so I'm putting my money on that but it's better to check with the expert, I suppose!

R
Raenstoirm

We were sent to the ER with a funny rash. Fifth disease here! Both my twins had bubble gum colored cheeks and my boy still has a nasty swelling rash on a lot of his body. The walk in emergency clinic (of course it happened after the pediatrician was closed) was concerned it was an allergic reaction to something and sent us to the ER.