Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I hooked up a spare Mac to my office's network, which is full of Windows 2000 PCs, and this is how each of those PCs looks with QuickView:

That is too cool!!

/vjl/

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I find it so childish of Apple to actually use that in the final release of Leopard. For the pre-releases, ok, it was good for a chuckle. But that is unprofessional.

It's stupid little things like this that actually do turn me away from Macs. And those "Get a Mac" commercials still make me cringe. Instead of wasting time trying to make them selves look better by pointing out the flaws of competitors, why not actually work on bettering them selves so that they don't have to use stupid marketing ploys and such.

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
I find it so childish of Apple to actually use that in the final release of Leopard. For the pre-releases, ok, it was good for a chuckle. But that is unprofessional.

Well, at least icons can be easily changed.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY

It's stupid little things like this that actually do turn me away from Macs. And those "Get a Mac" commercials still make me cringe. Instead of wasting time trying to make them selves look better by pointing out the flaws of competitors, why not actually work on bettering them selves so that they don't have to use stupid marketing ploys and such.

Jeez, lighten up. You do know that it is okay to have fun when using or making a computer, right?

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Jeez, lighten up. You do know that it is okay to have fun when using or making a computer, right?

Yes, it is okay to have fun. But insulting other companies who are more sucessful than you for a problem that exists within your own products as well isn't my idea of "fun". It's immature. And if the only way Apple can bring them selves up in the market is by bringing others down, then they seriously have to revise where they're heading and how they plan to get there.

I hope to see those icons changed in an update.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Yes, it is okay to have fun. But insulting other companies who are more sucessful than you for a problem that exists within your own products as well isn't my idea of "fun". It's immature. And if the only way Apple can bring them selves up in the market is by bringing others down, then they seriously have to revise where they're heading and how they plan to get there.

Yeah, I agree. I work in networks which use both PCs and Macs, and it just doesn't look good to have this type of icon. Maybe it's okay at home, where most Macs seem to reside, but not in a professional environment - which is where Apple should be trying to get into.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Despite not wanting to acknowledge another thread about this subject, I don't find it childish at all. It's an accurate depiction, since that screen does occur in Windows at times. It's all in good fun. If Windows made their icon of Mac with a blank blue screen with the beachball or whatever else Mac has for their BSoD (I've never seen one, so I wouldn't know) I'd laugh just as hard (or maybe a little less because I wouldn't recognize it).

evilbert420

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Good Grief

This is ridiculous.

Ridiculous that Apple included it.

Ridiculous that people are actually upset about it.

Anyone who's not a complete idiot knows that both Macs and Windows are comparable in stability. I have 9 computers, a mix of Macs and Windows XP and Vista boxes. I seldom get Kernel Panics, and I seldom get BSODs. When I do, it's always traced back to new drivers that aren't quite baked. Often video drivers on the Windows side, and audio drivers (professional audio interfaces) on the Mac side. It's not hard to do a little research and realize that both Apple and Microsoft have radically improved stability with their current-generation operating systems. Windows 9x was unstable, just as Mac OS "classic" was unstable. I suffered through hundreds of BSODS in the 90s, just as I suffered though hundreds of crashes and freezes on Mac OS Classic in the 90s.

And if you know that, and you know why BSODS happened and that they rarely happen now, you'll understand why MS pokes fun at the "old" technology itself: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/BlueScreen.mspx. Which makes this whole situation all the more ridiculous.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina

Well, thankfully the LBSOD [light blue screen of death] events that have been happening to Leopard upgraders are not the fault of Apple, but of APE, something that has had issues with Mac OS X updates and upgrades in the past. I doubt Apple knew months ago that so many people have installed out of date versions of APE which aren't compatible with Leopard. If Apple had to worry about each and every 3rd party app, and each and every version of 3rd party app, it would have seen Leopard delayed longer than Vista was!

Personally, I find it all in good fun, even in a corporate environment. The icons are normally very small [who is gonna use QuckView/Look to browse their network, huh?] and as a later post said, if MS did the something similar [represented each Mac on a network with the POD [pinwheel of doom]], I would find it funny too [thankfully Finder has not yet done the POD for me in Leopard like it would in Tiger].

Apple has always stretched the rules and gone against the grain. I think this icon is just one of the small things they've done to show they aren't going to stay conformed to what might be politically correct, and instead do a little chest thumping. I for one, think it is well deserved. While not perfect, Leopard is clearly a serious improvement in so many ways.

/vjl/

escozul

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
I wish to bump up this thread again!

It's been 3 years since the last post and Leopard came and gone and now Snow Leopard is here and still no change to the windows icons! I bet that when Lion comes out it will still use the same look for windows PC icons! Still though I wonder ... how does the SoD for Macs look? Or even Linux?

BSoDs are a Windows prerogative. It's not bad to make fun of it!

Worst thing that can happen to a mac is this
macSOD-1024x768.jpg

And prolly you will only see that if you search for it on Google...

Linux... well I still haven't found the SoD for Ubuntu even by Googling it...

Windows 7 seems to be fairly stable but you still get BSoD there as well although more rare.

What is really annoying about Windows OSes and the BSoD there is that some times it's not an isolated problem. You might get a Blue screen on startup and go on a restart loop making it sometimes impossible to recover! So macs sometimes crash but you just restart and you forget it ever crashed! When windows machines crash... you tend to forget it ever worked!!!

So, considering all that... I guess its ok to make fun of MS and it's unstable operating system. They are kind of ... "unique" to that!

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
I wish to bump up this thread again!

It's been 3 years since the last post and Leopard came and gone and now Snow Leopard is here and still no change to the windows icons! I bet that when Lion comes out it will still use the same look for windows PC icons! Still though I wonder ... how does the SoD for Macs look? Or even Linux?

BSoDs are a Windows prerogative. It's not bad to make fun of it!

Worst thing that can happen to a mac is this [IG]http://www.dragon-tortuga.net/wp-uploads/2010/02/macSOD-1024x768.jpg[/IMG]
And prolly you will only see that if you search for it on Google...

Linux... well I still haven't found the SoD for Ubuntu even by Googling it...

Windows 7 seems to be fairly stable but you still get BSoD there as well although more rare.

What is really annoying about Windows OSes and the BSoD there is that some times it's not an isolated problem. You might get a Blue screen on startup and go on a restart loop making it sometimes impossible to recover! So macs sometimes crash but you just restart and you forget it ever crashed! When windows machines crash... you tend to forget it ever worked!!!

So, considering all that... I guess its ok to make fun of MS and it's unstable operating system. They are kind of ... "unique" to that!

Oh the fallacies! :rolleyes:

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
It's a little unprofessional to include that icon in a release version. However, if you don't have your reaction (chuckle, disappointment) and move on, you have nothing better to do. It's a silly icon meant to poke fun at a very well-known problem of Windows. If you have time to worry about that, I'd love to have your problems.

escozul

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
well... mac users have time to chuckle about that... they don't waste their time on stupid BSoD that windows users have to deal with. So we make some time and post in a forum just for fun ;)

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
this never fails to make me laugh!
my cousin came to my house for tea the other day and brought her sluggish Vista laptop. Almost died laughing when that icon came up in my finder!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.