Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbat250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hi. I cant seem to get my late 2011 macbook pro going. Im getting a blue screen when it boots or it shuts off when booting after my password.

Command R isnt working but command S gets me into command prompt. I also tried internet recovery but it just launches to a blue screen again

Apple MacBook Pro 17-Inch "Core i7" 2.4 late 2011​

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Probably the "Radeongate" GPU issue. There are a few different ways in software to temporarily fix this issue, or there is a hardware mod that can permanently fix it by disabling the dedicated Radeon GPU.

BEFORE you do anything with the GPU though, try to reset the PRAM/NVRAM - by holding Command + Option + P + R on boot.

I suggest you also look around these forums - I'm sure there are threads already discussing this. There are also some videos about it, like these ones below:

, and

Bbat250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
So youre saying there's a chance. Alright thanks rm5! I will give it a shot

Bbat250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Probably the "Radeongate" GPU issue. There are a few different ways in software to temporarily fix this issue, or there is a hardware mod that can permanently fix it by disabling the dedicated Radeon GPU.

BEFORE you do anything with the GPU though, try to reset the PRAM/NVRAM - by holding Command + Option + P + R on boot.

I suggest you also look around these forums - I'm sure there are threads already discussing this. There are also some videos about it, like these ones below:

, and
Can the software method be done via single user mode? Or does it require a disk or something?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So I think you can do it with this tool - http://dosdude1.com/apps/MacBook Pro dGPU Disabler.zip

...but he explains in one of the videos that "the only good solution on these systems, because of AMD... there is actually a software method [the one I'm talking about] to do this, however it requires setting an NVRAM variable, which of course will get reset every time you reset [the PRAM and NVRAM]."

So the software method has potential to temporarily work, is my point.

I don't think it works through Single-user mode, as there is a GUI (graphical user interface). That might hinder you from doing it successfully if you cant even boot the system

Bbat250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
So I think you can do it with this tool - http://dosdude1.com/apps/MacBook Pro dGPU Disabler.zip

...but he explains in one of the videos that "the only good solution on these systems, because of AMD... there is actually a software method [the one I'm talking about] to do this, however it requires setting an NVRAM variable, which of course will get reset every time you reset [the PRAM and NVRAM]."

So the software method has potential to temporarily work, is my point.

I don't think it works through Single-user mode, as there is a GUI (graphical user interface). That might hinder you from doing it successfully if you cant even boot the system
I cant get the mac online to use the tool. I think im out of my depth here. Ive been on pc and dont really understand much hardware stuff. Im good with following stuff on bios and commands though. I really just want to get it going once to see what is in there and then maybe a hard reset to sell it

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yeah, these 2011 15/17" MBPs are very unreliable. It's very rare that you'll find one that actually has a working GPU (a friend of mine has one that still has the Radeon GPU working, but that's extremely rare). You could always take out the hard drive and see what's on it using another computer.

Sorry I can't be of any help here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.