Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Been on the phone 4 times with Apple reps JUST for a battery replacement for the recall.

First call: On the phone 35 min. Order did not go through. Waited 9 days for it to arrive. Never came.

2nd call: On the phone for 1hr trying to get through the form with the rep. In the end got a Customer satisfaction order.

3rd call: On the phone 20 min. They sent me the wrong part. Power adapter instead of battery.

4th call: Sent battery to some address in CA. I am in MD. Not exactly close. Them: "whoops, call DHL".

5th call - To DHL - 2 min. Changed address. Battery coming tomorrow. FINALLY. Best phone call of all the previous.

Total time spend dealing with this: 2 hrs on the phone. ~3 weeks in waiting time. Go apple support!

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
wow.. thats pretty bad. Maybe they just all had an off day. Apple support usually pretty good. At least your getting the battery tomorrow.

-JoE

wasn't there someone who posted here recently said that they got 2 batteries from apple? hehe. I'm not sure.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Wow? Really? Every time I've talked to Apple Support it was quick and got stuff done. I had to get my MBP power adapter replaced recently. It was a 10 minute call to Apple, the next morning I got the replacement and sent back my bad one. They got it back and closed the file. All of this took less than 48 hours.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yeah it amazes me how they tell *us* to call the shipping company. I actually passed that along to some uppers, when they did that to me. It's absolutely insane. Fedex lost a package of mine once, and the Applecare was telling me to call Fedex. It was amazing.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Yeah it amazes me how they tell *us* to call the shipping company. I actually passed that along to some uppers, when they did that to me. It's absolutely insane. Fedex lost a package of mine once, and the Applecare was telling me to call Fedex. It was amazing.

Holy crap are you kidding? I'd ask for the manager, and then when the manager got on the phone I'd ask for his boss, and so on and so on. That is utter BS.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Been on the phone 4 times with Apple reps JUST for a battery replacement for the recall.

First call: On the phone 35 min. Order did not go through. Waited 9 days for it to arrive. Never came.

2nd call: On the phone for 1hr trying to get through the form with the rep. In the end got a Customer satisfaction order.

3rd call: On the phone 20 min. They sent me the wrong part. Power adapter instead of battery.

4th call: Sent battery to some address in CA. I am in MD. Not exactly close. Them: "whoops, call DHL".

5th call - To DHL - 2 min. Changed address. Battery coming tomorrow. FINALLY. Best phone call of all the previous.

Total time spend dealing with this: 2 hrs on the phone. ~3 weeks in waiting time. Go apple support!

Update:

The 5th call to DHL was on 2/27/08. It is now March 3. Where is my battery you ask? Still in CA.

What happened? Apple did not sent it to the right address. Continuation of the story.

6th call
- To DHL - 5 min. "Why is my package in CA? and you guys haven't sent it?"

Reply from DHL - "Tracking online does not reflect where the package actually is."

Me - (to myself) - WTF? Why bother have tracking?

DHL - "You need to contact Apple for compliance for address change."

7th Call
- To Apple - "You sent my package to the wrong address. I gave you an address in MD, and you sent it to CA. WTF?"

Reply from Apple - "Sorry we will put in notice to DHL. Will take 2-3 days."

8th Call - To DHL - "I called apple, and they sent you compliance notice. Where is my battery and when is it coming to me."

Reply from DHL - "I see in the system, your package needs compliance notice from apple"

Me - "Apple told me they sent you compliance already. I know you have my address in your system."

Reply from DHL - "Alright. Because we cannot contact the shipping center that has your package, can I get your number so they can update you on the status tomorrow morning?"

*** Next Day

9th call
to DHL - "I haven't received a call from you guys on the update of my package. Where is it and when is it getting to me?"

Reply from DHL - "My system says that the representative working on your case is still working on it. The best you can do is call apple and ask them to send us a compliance notice for the address change.

Me - "Why?" "Why would I call them again when I they already told me they sent you compliance? I do not see any reason to do that."

DHL - "Is your address xxxxxx, Baltimore MD 21201? OK, I marked comply. Should be outbound to you tonight."

All I have to say is, DHL and apple belong together. They are on my speed dial as a result of this horrible service. I am not even exaggerating these calls.

If only apple didn't make beautiful machines. But you can get beautiful things from ugly business tactics as well.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
About to make my 10th call to DHL to see where my package is since they haven't updated their system like they told me they would. Bastards. This is getting ridiculous. Why doesn't DHL or Apple just do what they tell me they are going to do? It has been a month for peet's sake!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This is ridiculous. I would contact Apple Customer Relations (not AppleCare) and complain.

There is no reason that AppleCare shouldn't have already retracted the previous shipment and overnighted you a new one already. It's a simple phone call, cancellation and re-order on their part.

The problem with DHL and FedEx is Apple doesn't allow the receiver to make any "formal" changes to their shipments as a matter of policy. This helps to prevent shipment fraud. Only Apple can request redirects, delivery reschedules after third attempt, etc.

The only reason that some of us at MacRumors have been able to redirect packages or fix address errors is because we've convinced our local DHL shipping facility to do so. Just one of the many reasons why both my FedEx and DHL driver gets a Christmas gift each year. :D

happydudeca

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
This is a little off topic, but my experience with DHL (in Canada) has been horrible. Long story short, after two weeks of almost daily calls they apologized and declared my package lost. I told them that was ok but that I'd have to phone the cops because my 'lost' package was 2400 rounds of ammo. The next day my package was dropped off my some kid in an unmarked Honda Civic. :eek:

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If this battery is indeed being replaced under a recall like you have stated then this probably could have been avoided by requesting a new battery yourself online:

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

I would have to pay if I went that route. And actually, the service rep ultimately made me go that route, which caused them to send me a 65 power adapter in the first place.

Update:

Placed 10th call to DHL: "I was told my package would be on route to me overnight. I do not see any kind of update to my tracking."

DHL: "Oh your package was sent back to the original sender"

Me: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Can you read your information again? I was told it would be overnighted to me"

DHL: (After 3 minute hold) "Your package is on route to you, and has incurred an extra day because of handling. Here is the new tracking number...xxx. It should get to you tomorrow."

Worst. absolute worst, absolute absolute worst service I have ever had in my life from both companies. They should be ashamed.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
I have had bad experience with DHL in the past (short story: I was home all day and never got a package; allegedly they delivered it at 10am - package was "lost").

However my Apple/DHL experiences have been favorable for the most part. What I don't like is that if I wanted to pick up a package from DHL directly, I would have to call Apple to release it to me. I realize security of the packages is in mind; however this is really inconvenient.

Macmanus

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I think I am at the point of emailing steve jobs.

I'm with you, pal. Here in Europe, we have the crappiest mail compagnies you've ever seen. Even Russia cannot beat France.

Go and make their life a misery.

You deserve a free battery. Ask for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.