IKEA kallax 4x4 is bending in the middle, bottom

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alf Panek, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had a 4x4 ikea kallax installed for just over 5 months now. I have an unusual situation where the only great spot for this beast is over a sump pump in the floor in the basement. As a result, the bottom of the shelf is hanging over the sump pump without any support in the center. Today I noticed the center is bending in on the unsupported center and suddenly I’m concerned about the overall integrity of the unit. I’m spooked enough that I’m starting to remove the LPs in the center two shelves. Any structural engineers or opinionated audiophiles have any helpful suggestions?

[​IMG]

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  2. moops

moops Senior Member

I’ve never built one, but is the design of the Kallax able to handle higher than two levels for records, to take the weight, without some extra support somewhere in the frame ?

3. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

IKEA shelving is the biggest spoof in modern times…they have sold the masses cardboard construction shelving….the most brilliant play one could concoct…we all fell for it. They made BANK!

I knew better by buying that crap, but it all sunk in when I took my saw to my Kallax to customize the fit…So pissed at myself.

z11111, Zardozm and DrZhivago like this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Can you stick a flat piece of wood (cut and planed to the right size and thickness) underneath that uneven gap in the middle so that it's on an even surface? Seems like that would solve your problem.

redwun, 33na3rd, Jvalvano and 13 others like this.
  5. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I would think that it’s the lack of support under the unit that’s the issue, is it possible to put a steel / strong plate over the gap to support the Kallax ?

6. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Are you all sure that we are talking the same "Kallax"? I have sent a photo of mine..and it looks far far sturdier than anything else mentioned here....and it is certainly not “cardboard”.....perhaps it is a different product in the U.K?

[​IMG]

7. moops

moops Senior Member

Swann36 likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's the same product everywhere. The exterior walls are a paper honeycomb lattice that is veneered. So you're right. But you've shown the 2x2 version. I have both the 2x4 and 4x4 versions and they both work fine. But you need to support the middle if you are going to store records in them. On my 2x4 I have the caster sets that used to be available. But you need 3 of the for each shelf. One at each end and the third in the middle. As these are no longer available, I would recommend getting the base for the problematic installation. I would also add additional blocks under the 1st and 3rd partitions since it's not possible to block under the direct center 2nd partition.
    [edit] I'll add that I don't have records stored in the entire 4x4 structure. I thought it might be too weak. So I put the drawers in the 3rd row of the shelves. But I've seen others stack another 2x4 atop the 4x4 unit. I'm guessing these were reinforced with a backing panel to keep the structure square.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Pretorius and Alf Panek like this.
  9. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Puzzled...I have had the Kallax in situ for nearly eight years now stuffed to the gills.....no sign whatsoever of sagging or distortion....the only "mod" I have employed is some plastic cable hide trunking at the rear of each compartment to keep records from sliding from the housings....

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The OPs unit is unlikely to fail, their construction means they are quite prone to warps and bending in the outer pieces, but over a small area it's very unlikely to cause the unit to fail, as mentioned above the unit should have been placed on either a length of board or the metal support which would probably have been best in this case.

I've been using Expedits/Kallaxes for twenty-five years, assembled dozens of all sizes and also picked up several used ones in varying condition including bending, warping and delamination, I have never had a single unit fail, as long as it is properly constructed, the OPs unit should not fail, but if in doubt either place a board under it or get the metal base, I've never seen a warped one completely return to square, but considering the location and the units size you might be lucky, don't forget to tighten the bolts, though not over tight.

11. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

With the previous version Expedit, I put a one piece cardboard on the back of the whole unit, I never had a problem. I also glued all the panels and shelves.

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

With the weight of four levels of LPs, it would surprise me if a wood (or cardboard) structure unsupported in the centre did NOT start to bend, over time. I would say it's hardly Ikea's fault.

bdfin, ispace, Joshua Tree and 5 others like this.
  13. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

That's the Expedit model which was prior to the Kallex. It was strudier a with thicker frame. I have 2 of them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Shawn, FrankieP and sound chaser like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What people forget is that when they launched the Expedit it was actually much more overengineered, the horizontal shelves were supported by metal inserts, not dowels and the units shipped with four cross braces, I've not disassembled a first generation model, but the outer frame may have been manufactured differently as well, for the last twenty-five years Ikea has been cutting costs and materials however as I mentioned I've never had any of them fail and I'm confident that Ikea have tested the units to destruction and they can still withstand full loads of records, I have 5x5s that have been full and supporting additional shelves on top since the 1990s, no issues.

15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes, but would I be right in surmising that your units have been sitting on a proper horizontal surface, supported throughout their width?

33na3rd and Mister Triscuits like this.
  16. Alf Panek

I followed all the advice/steps in this video plus I glued all the dowels and was feeling pretty confident about my work until I noticed the bending last night. Of course not everyone is installing it over a sump pump like I did and I did have some doubts about that so I was keeping an eye on it. A large metal plate sounds ideal especially if it runs the length of the shelving unit. I was considering something like that, but I just wasn’t sure it would be necessary now I wish I did use something like that. Anybody have any ideas of where to get one?

qwerty likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, because that is generally how you should place them, but as I mentioned I've picked up several used units including some with similar issues to the OP and have reused them and often managed to restore some though not all of their shape and had no structural failures.

Not the same thing as these are all 2x2, but this lot includes a few I picked up used, including at least one I literally found on the street, one of them was greater than 5mm out of true on one panel, there are also dents and scratches, as you can see I haven't managed to get everything 100% perfect, but considering how bad some were I'm happy with how it turned out, you can usually get them part way back into shape, I have done a 4x4 that wasn't quite as bad as the OPs, but not far off.

[​IMG]

18. Alf Panek

Stories like yours is why I decided to go with Kallax. I’m wondering what would happen if I empty out the shelf and stick a thin piece of sheet metal right under it then fill it up again. The tricky thing being that I have it screwed into studs in the wall at multiple locations. I’m wrestling with whether to just put everything back on the shelf and have faith that it’s going to be okay or trying to intervene in some way.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The skirting suggests you are using brackets to fix it to the wall, if so it's a pain, but not a massive job to re-affix if you raise the unit, I wouldn't think a thin piece of metal would do the job, a thick piece of wood or possible fibreboard would give support and hopefully help compress it back into shape, at least partially. If you require access to the pump, then a combination of a solid piece of wood and the metal frame may work best. If you do have any fears about the structural integrity, you can always turn the unit upside down, so the warp is on the top, though it won't return to flat if you do so. If you have some sort of press or several clamps, you could disassemble and place the bottom panel between two pieces of wood that should get it straighter, but make sure the wood is full length else the panel may crack as internally it's a honeycomb, not solid and the veneers can break.

Ere and Alf Panek like this.
  20. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Personally I would empty it out and get something under that center support column to level the bottom, but as small as that warp is (and with it being anchored to the wall) I don't think you're in imminent danger of collapse, so I wouldn't call out from work or anything to do it.

21. Alf Panek

Haha oh man I think all of us would take a sick day to save our collections! :)

22. Alf Panek

This is very interesting. I guess it’s made to fit the 4x4 and looks like it just rests on top of it with no attachment points?

KALLAX Base on legs, black, 571/2x153/8x71/8" - IKEA

23. Alf Panek

They seem to have it supporting a 4x2 in the instruction manual [​IMG]

ispace likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Thinking about it, I assembled some 2x2s 2x4s and a 4x4 for a friend, the room had a cement floor and a drain cover with the potential to overflow, I raised the units placed sheets of 18mm MDF cut to exact size under the bottoms and used supports, but not full length under the MDF, there has been no drooping I'm aware of, and it has overflowed at least once though fortunately I left enough clearance and shelves and contents survived intact, water is a killer for Expedits and Kallaxes, the veneer will peel, and the panels will lose integrity and shape.

velo_TX, Ere and sound chaser like this.
  25. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I don’t think it will fail but probably should be addressed. tbh I think the sag on this chipboard piece could be getting exasperated by humidity in the basement or other water issues (which I would assume exist hence the sump pump?). The stand should get it off the floor which if there is any humidity issue should be a help.

Shawn, velo_TX, The Pinhead and 2 others like this.