Thread: Are websites worth millions too

Beans

Are websites worth millions too

Hi friends,

I just came across this popular site, which is an online forum/community for mobile app developers, particularly Android OS based apps.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

Then, I happened to read this Wiki page, which says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDA_Developers

XDA Developers (also known simply as XDA; often stylized as xda-developers) is a mobile software development community of over 6.6 million members worldwide, started in January 2003.

XDA-Developers.com (XDA Developers) was created by NAH6 Crypto Products BV (Netherlands). On 10 January 2010, XDA-Developers was bought by JB Online Media, LLC (USA).

Joshua Solan manages and owns XDA Developers via his company JB Online Media, LLC.
    I first thought why would anybody buy or invest in an online forum, but then I guessed the reason JB Online bought it might the sheer number of its members, which is over 6.6 million members worldwide. Plus, it develops custom images for a variety of mobiles brands, if I am correct, also allows users to download and install the same on their mobiles free of cost. This forum must have attained a great fan following among mobile app developers. So it can be a great digial asset for an investor. Am I right in thinking so?

The only other website, which was sold for millions was Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/?country=US

On February 7, 2011, AOL acquired the mass market Huffington Post for US$315 million, making Arianna Huffington editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Huffington_Post

Its really interesting to see that even websites or online forums can be sold as regular producs, provided they have a huge and long-standing user base.

Please feel free to share more such examples.

this is one of the very few sites, which is actually an online forum, that has been bought by someone. But then I think this is a rare thing to happen as this site as over 6.6 million members worldwide.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by tech291083; October 18th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.

Beans

Re: Are websites worth millions too

through the years I saw some forums being sold but they were not that expensive, the highest price I heard of was 8k but that was a small website
    these days nobody care so much about forums where I live though, they are a dying trend and social media websites are all the rage

Beans

Re: Are websites worth millions too

The value of any Forum/Site would be what it is, what is behind it, name, revenue generation. Sites like Neowin for example would have a high value as they would generate considerable advertising revenue. A forum that does not run advertising would only have value based on what it does. If it is a support vehicle there would be value but not necessarily realisable value if liquidated.

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb42 View Post
    The value of any Forum/Site would be what it is, what is behind it, name, revenue generation. Sites like Neowin for example would have a high value as they would generate considerable advertising revenue. A forum that does not run advertising would only have value based on what it does. If it is a support vehicle there would be value but not necessarily realisable value if liquidated.
    Well-said, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phia-phoenix View Post
    they are a dying trend and social media websites are all the rage
    Ya, makes sense these days, thanks.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 14th, 2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: merged posts