• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FG Marder

Mad Marder

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting the fg marder ht edition and I would like to know is can I put a fg tuned pipe on it before running the engine in or do I have to use the stock pipe first, thanks in advance for any help given 

• Like 1

That's not a bad question actually.

You won't damage the engine, but there are a couple of things to consider.

A new engine will be running a little rich / will be heat-cycled, so it might actually have a negative effect on your fancy pipe, temporarily - not really as bad as nitro, but similar, so you might be better running in on the old pipe, at least a few tanks.

The engine carburettor settings will change slightly with a tuned pipe, so you'd still need to maintain that slightly rich setting.

Al.

There's another thread where there's a video of a 'real expert' explains typical settings of the different carbs - they're similar and you'll probably dial it in just fine - even I did! - but it's interesting to watch.

Al.

Best of luck, if you delve into the petrol section and search 'Marder' there is a very good thread, about 8 pages long, I was having good read last night, as I am currently bidding on a competition Marder in Red Bull colours. :thumbsup:

Could be resurgence in this model......:D

I wread only the samba exhaust adds power. The fg std exhaust gave the 2nd most power. My jetpro was like 5th. But i knew it wasnt as good cos it stopped wheelies at wot. 

Fg marder standard exhaust. With fg monster truck exhaust extension pipe. 

Try that set up before an expensive shiny pipe honest it sounds great too. All my jetpro v2 did better was look better lol. I wished i got the clone pipe after. So this time i did lol. 

cheers for the vid m8, perfect, thank you by the way butcher, does the exhaust you are on about fit the marder without trimming the shell and do you know any descent websites where I can get the pipe your talking about

I ran a my kyosho arc (marder clone) using a samba pipe and a fg (not meilke) up and over tuned pipe, whilst it had its 30.5cc installed

Samba pipe gave nice smooth power increase throughout the rev range without being overly loud, the up and over was best bang for buck, it fitted better as well,if you tuck it right up to near the engine , and balanced the rear end out in comparison to the samba pipe on 1 side of the chassis.

Just my 2c

On 2017-5-17 at 22:09, atom3624 said:

That's not a bad question actually.

You won't damage the engine, but there are a couple of things to consider.

A new engine will be running a little rich / will be heat-cycled, so it might actually have a negative effect on your fancy pipe, temporarily - not really as bad as nitro, but similar, so you might be better running in on the old pipe, at least a few tanks.

The engine carburettor settings will change slightly with a tuned pipe, so you'd still need to maintain that slightly rich setting.

Al.

+1 with atom

There's nothing to gain by running the engine in with a tuned pipe, I could see this creating issues with the extra rpm/heat issues.

Tuned pipe = altered (higher) rpm + extra heat 

You want to attempt to sufficiently keep temps down during break in if poss.

It is possible to break in an engine with a tuned pipe from day 1, many have differing opinions on this, but I've not seen any evidence to say it makes a monumental difference either way.

This following info is pulled from another site;

As far as the "tuned pipe" goes, It won't hurt to break it in on the pipe as long as you keep it "OFF THE PIPE" "ON THE PIPE" is a terminology used to describe when the engine and PIPE is "MATCHED" JUST REMEMBER the PIPE is designed to give you added R.P.M. and as stated above the added R.P.M. is going to produce added heat. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS, BREAK THE ENGINE IN WITH THE FACTORY EXHAUST.