• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie and eye on an FG Marder

Lunaticflea

Hello dude, welcome to the forum!

Those Fg marders are a fantastic way to get into larger scale RC !

They're easy to work on, run on 2 stroke mix, and are a great bit of fun..

Once you've tried it, it's very addictive! 

P.s what is your drone? Just an FYI...taking into account it's getting close to winter...I'd value the marder roughly around £200-£250

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask for pics of the screws areas good shots so you can try to that if its had bodge jobs done. Or 4in wood screws added lol. If its all straight and factory it could be epic fun. 

Things to ask for upgrades. It has a nice exhaust fitted DDM dominator exhaust or clone version mayb. 

It would be great if it had Alloy engine mounts, alloy gear carrier atleast too. It looks tidy from those pics but need body off shots tbh. 

These FGs are the gate way petrol rc or was and can go for 150£ at times. I paid £200 for an Fg Mt but badly worn. 

Down the feild the Fg marder i had was one of the very best rcs i had it flew i think. Making a 23cc baja i tried seem horrible sluggish. The Fg marder is smaller lighter and it shows well when its running sweet. 

The bad thing about FGs is being the cheaper option new guys get them or guys who dont care its a thrasher so really do hammer them. Even on the work bench hurting it more at times lol. 

The other bad thing IMO is spares and upgrades everything's old for a start the upgrades some are needed but only avalible througj Germany at big money vs km stuff. So people use the RC breakers OR FG BREAKERS theres lots for FG. They sometimes sell junk too they dont care. I learned quick to avoid the listings saying fits all FGS Ftxs watever cos they wasnt fg parts and wouldn't fit the FG either without other peices to mate with. It was annoying. 

If i ever got another FG ide buy the best two i can find at reasonable prices. 

I got 230 i think for mine after fitting alloy all around the engine and other stuff it was a very nice FG but over months got knocked down to 230£ lol. A police man brought it in the end. I was just glad to sell by then though. 

Petrol 2 stroke are the hardest RCs to sell IMO i only sold 5 mayb but never struggled like it. The money really is in breaking them for spares. I failed to sell km baja upgraded for 350 for a year telling buyers they could make that selling some upgrades and have it for free lol. In the end i broke it and took nearly 1100£ no joke. Im still in shock by it. Weirdly the upgrades TR esp were the last things to sell. Unused km stuff sold like candy. 

You might be better off getting cash and looking if its 300+ and not full of alloy parts. But really need close up the skirt shots sellers can hide a million messes under the body shell lol. Best of luck. They are decent rcs but are from the 80s mayb 70s design. But rugged as.. 

Heres the one i loved the most out of 4 mayb. Mts and marders. Ide like a baja but only if two good ones came up when im searching lol. 

I was heart broken at 230 though. 300 was half price. 

20130605_185858_zpshap6smww.jpg

It had the Jet pro V2 silenced exhaust and that exhaust shown. That shown is the standard exhaust for the monster truck lol. Its just a tiny pipe 

But i once saw a dyno test thread for FG exhausts and that MT std pipe came 2nd. The one pipe to increase overall power was the samba race pipe. 

I did really think installing the Jetpro V2 dulled it down alot. It stopped trying to pop wheelies like it did before. 

Top tip though. If your 2 stroke rc won't start for god sake do not get mad and just pull faster and harder. With your back arched over the rc. It can put you out of action for 2wk lol. Always crouch down next to it and pull into you. Not up. Honestly i did it 10 pulls in anger trying to start it for a mate and not. So i went faster and pulled every muscle. It was horrible for two weeks. Luckily i seen big guys say it happened to them too so ill admit it lol. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO...its not worth near £325.....£225 if its straight and ready to run with tx etc included.

I would box up your drone and advertise It on eBay in the next week before Xmas.... Then use the funds to buy cheap in january

If you want real Baja beating power...pop a 30.5cc in it and an fg up & over power pipe, I don't rate ddm or jetpro for performance pipes for marder bases...all show and no go

Well that's going to need stripping an inspecting to tell if its ready to use.....does look like something that's been ragged an just forgotten about.... Although it could of been used a handful of times and the internals are like new!

Its your cash dude....so its your call...

See what he'd really take for it...

• Thanks 1

I thought the same. Think I will pass on that one.  I now have money to buy one with a budget around £250. Definitely want off road and first one will be for bashing (think that's what it's called lol ) Not racing. Still undecided on nitro or petrol but guess my budget my decide. Will look to get one hopefully of a form like this from someone who appears to know what they are talking about when I ask questions

10 minutes ago, Lunaticflea said:

I thought the same. Think I will pass on that one.  I now have money to buy one with a budget around £250. Definitely want off road and first one will be for bashing (think that's what it's called lol ) Not racing. Still undecided on nitro or petrol but guess my budget my decide. Will look to get one hopefully of a form like this from someone who appears to know what they are talking about when I ask questions

I'd only recommend two places... EBay and our own forum sales section.

• Thanks 1